06 June 2010

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (HP#5) by J.K. Rowling

Book Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (HP#5)
Author: J.K. Rowling(http://www.mugglenet.com/)
Pages: 870
Publisher: Scholastic
Genre: YA/Science Fiction/Fantasy

(Scale Explanation: 1) Meaning awful, 5) Meaning not good, but not bad, equal, 10) Meaning wonderful)

PLOT - 10
CHARACTERS - 10
BEGINNING - 10
ENDING - 9
FLOW - 10
OVERALL - 10

What I liked about this book:
I hated this book in the beginning, it was so different from the other Harry Potter books that I just wanted to be over with it, so that I could finish reading the whole series. I mean, come on, you can’t just leave one book out of a series. But as I continued reading it, this book actually bloomed into being one of my faves of the entire series, well, from what I have read so far. I loved that the whole story has gotten so much darker and that Harry actually doubted his father as being a good person. This added a new emotional element that rocked the book. I loved the inclusion of some of the events of the past and Sirius Black was his best in this one, since it is his last one, I’m glad he made an impression on me. I was very surprised that this book gained so much as I read through it.

What I disliked about this book:
Like I said above, I did not like this book in the beginning, but after getting over that, I was very happy with it.

Who I would recommend this book to:
Anyone that is a fan of the Harry Potter series. Anyone that enjoys a good YA book that has elements of science fiction and fantasy.

What I felt the book was about:
Harry Potter and Dudley get attacked by two dementors over the summer and Harry has to use magic to save Dudley and himself. He is temporarily expelled from Hogwarts, but Dumbledore works to get him a hearing to discuss if he is truly expelled from Hogwarts. Harry is then taken to Sirius’s family home where everyone is there waiting for him. He is distressed, no one has written to him all summer or anything so he takes out his frustrations on his friends. He finds out a few new things about Voldemort and about the Order of the Phoenix which he can’t yet join because the adults believe he is too young. He goes to the hearing and is able to go back to Hogwarts due to Dumbledore’s intervening ways. He goes back to Hogwarts and they have a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Professor Umbridge who is strange and just wants to put Hogwarts under the rule of the ministry. Rules start to be instated and Hogwarts becomes a prison. Harry starts having strange nightmares and soon he finds out that they aren’t just nightmares, they are actual visions of things that Voldemort has ordered or is doing. One particular dream, Mr. Weasley is bitten by Nagini and Harry saves him just in time. The kids at the school are outraged that Umbridge has been conducting classes to a point where the kids aren’t learning any defense charms or spells. So they decide to create a club which they dub Dumbledore’s Army, to learn defense spells. They meet in a secret room and are soon found out. Dumbledore is supposed to be arrested and taken to Azkaban, but he escapes with Fawkes. There is a mass breakout at Azkaban and Harry keeps dreaming about a tunnel and a room at the Ministry of Magic. Things become very intense as Umbridge continues to take over the school, firing teachers, and putting the kids through hell. Harry has a very upsetting dream that Sirius is in trouble and flees the school with Hermione, Ron, Neville, Ginny, and Luna in order to save him. They go to the Ministry of Magic and have to fight off several Death Eaters and Harry learns that Voldemort has been after a prophecy concerning him and Harry. Harry destroys the prophecy and Dumbledore has to fight of Voldemort. In the end, Harry finds out what the prophecy is and Cornelius Fudge learns that Voldemort is truly back. Hogwarts go back to being under Dumbledore and everyone is cleared of any troubles. Though, Harry is still very much trouble as he has lost his only true person that he believes is anything to him, as Sirius Black has been killed by Bellatrix LeStrange.

Favorite excerpts or quotes from the book:
"Yeah, Quirrell was a great teacher. There was just that minor drawback of him having Lord Voldemort sticking out of the back of his head!"

No comments:

Post a Comment