Book Title: Breakfast of Champions
Pages: 302
Publisher: The Dial Press/Random House
Genre: Fiction
(Scale Explanation: 1) Meaning awful, 5) Meaning not good, but not bad, equal, 10) Meaning wonderful)
PLOT - 10
CHARACTERS - 10
BEGINNING - 10
ENDING - 10
FLOW - 8
OVERALL - 10
What I liked about this book:
Who doesn’t like Kurt Vonnegut’s dry, cynical humor? This book was my favorite by far of the very few books that I have read by Vonnegut, even though I have several on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I loved Kilgore Trout, he is lonely, but doesn’t show that he cares. I liked Dwayne Hoover, his character was a nice handsome older man who went crazy in the book and went on a violent spree of beatings and his character totally depicted how one can snap. Plus the Creator of the Universe was an awesome storyteller!
What I disliked about this book:
The only reason the flow gets an 8 is because, vonnegut’s writing is a bit choppy, he will move from idea to a completely different idea all in one section of a chapter. I love it, but others have been known to hate it. I only gave it an 8 to show that the flow isn’t flowy!
Who I would recommend this book to:
Anyone that is a fan of the works of Vonnegut. Anyone that enjoys fictional satire.
What I felt the book was about:
Dwayne Hoover and Kilgore Trout are the main characters that the author and The Creator of the Universe follows in this sotry. You get life stories of the both of them along with a plethora of many other interesting characters. You also get to find out some anatomical lengths of certain members of characters bodies, but that is just a part of the satirical humor that this book encompasses.It mocks so many issues that Americans have today in ways that make you think, "Huh, some of us really are disgusting," but not so much to get you to want to go and revoke your citizenship. Who would want to do that? Anyway, I don't want to write too much about this book in this section because I feel as though too much info would give the greatness of this book away.
Favorite excerpts or quotes from the book:
“And it is in order to acknowledge the continuity of this polymer that I begin so many sentences with “And” and “So,” and end so many paragraphs with “…and so on.”
And so on.
“It’s all like an ocean!” cried Dostoevski. I say it’s all like cellophane.” – Page 234

No comments:
Post a Comment